Publishing agreements: your options

There are a number of different access and use licenses. These include licenses created by Creative Commons, and adopted by Taylor & Francis for open-access publication (authors are asked to sign a license to publish, which links to the Creative Commons license of their choice, depending on how they wish their work to be reused).

Feedback from our authors shows that researchers would like to choose the license option that best suits them, so we currently offer a range of publishing agreements. Below are summaries of each option:

Copyright assignment

You assign copyright in your article to the publisher or society. They manage the intellectual property rights (IPR) in your article, maintain your article as the Version of Record, and can represent your article in cases of copyright infringement.

Copyright assignment is available to all Taylor & Francis authors publishing in a subscription journal.

Exclusive license to publish

You grant the journal owner (e.g., the publisher [Taylor & Francis] or a learned society) the right to publish your paper on an exclusive basis. You (the author) retain copyright, and reuse requests are handled by the publisher or society on your behalf.

This license is available to all Taylor & Francis authors publishing in a subscription journal.

Open access Creative Commons licenses

We ask you to sign a publishing agreement to establish the originality and provenance of your article and to give us the non-exclusive right to publish the Version of Record of your article; you (the author) retain copyright. This agreement incorporates the Creative Commons license of your choice, which will dictate what others can do with your article once it has been published.

Attribution (CC BY)

CC BYOthers can distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation.

This license is offered on our full Open and our hybrid Open Select journals (when publishing on a gold OA basis).

Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC)

CC BY-NCOthers can remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial, they don’t have to license their derivative works on the same terms.

This license is offered on our full Open journals.

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (CC BY-NC-ND)

CC BY-NC-NDOthers can download your works and share them with others as long as they credit you, but they can’t change them in any way or use them commercially.

This license is offered on our hybrid Open Select journals (when publishing on a gold OA basis).

Understanding article reuse

Each license offers different reuse rights. The table below gives a quick overview of how others can use your work, based on the relevant license.



Frequently asked questions

You can also refer to our FAQs on publishing agreements:

Do I have to approve the submission?

Yes. After initial submission, an email notification will be sent from the National Institute of Health Manuscript Submission System (NIHMS) to the Principal Investigator (PI) of the NIH grant. If the PI was not an author of the paper in question, the corresponding author will instead receive the notification. This ‘Reviewer’ will then need to approve both the initial PDF receipt of the submitted manuscript files, and the web version of the manuscript as it will eventually appear on PubMed Central (following the expiry of the embargo period).

I mentioned the funding in the acknowledgements section – why was the article not submitted?

Pre-acceptance, the funding information must be declared via the Peer Review systems ScholarOne and Editorial Manager.

Post-acceptance, the funding information must be declared via our own E-Copyright System and CATS author interface.

Please take every care to match the funding body to the appropriate entry in the provided funder drop-down list. Typing both the full name of the funding agency or the appropriate acronym should narrow your options and help you to select the correct funder. For example, the National Cancer Institute could be found by typing either ‘National Cancer Institute’ or ‘NCI’.

Matching your funder with the correct entry will allow us to help you comply with funding mandates, such as the National Institute of Health (NIH) Public Access Policy.

You can select either the NIH as a funder, or any listed alternative. The NIH is a hierarchy, with the NIH at the top level and the constituent Institutes, Centres and Offices below. Selecting one or more of these will allow us to identify your article as NIH-funded.

See the NIH site for the current list of Institutes, Centres and Offices:

What if I do not own the copyright in the article I have written?

We seek to accommodate authors who are employees of governments, international organizations, or commercial corporations. Such entities will generally own copyright in works created as part of an employee’s employment.

Such entities will normally issue and grant Taylor & Francis a “non-exclusive” license to publish. In such situations, the publishing agreement stipulates that in so doing, such entities recognize Taylor & Francis as the sole licensee for the publication of the final, definitive, and citable Version of Scholarly Record.

If I have used any third-party material, whether previously published or not, do I need to acknowledge this?

Yes. You will need to obtain written permission in advance from any third-party owners of copyright for the use in print and electronic formats of any of their text, illustrations, graphics, or other material, in your article and in our journals. The same applies to any other rights held by third parties such as trade marks, design rights, database rights and rights relating to private information and confidentiality.

Taylor & Francis is a signatory of, and respects, the spirit of the STM Permissions Guidelines regarding the free sharing and dissemination of scholarly information. As such, we participate in the reciprocal free exchange of material. Suggested wording for the request for permission is given on our ‘Using third party material’ page. It is also important to ensure you acknowledge the source in your figure captions, and cite the source in your References section.

Find out more information on using third-party material, including FAQs.

What happens if Taylor & Francis does not publish the article?

If your paper is not published in a Taylor & Francis journal, for any reason, you (or, where appropriate, your employer) will retain the rights, including any copyright, in your article.

What is Crown Copyright?

Crown Copyright applies to material which is produced by Crown employees in the course of their work. Most material originated by ministers and civil servants is protected by Crown Copyright.

Tick this option if you are a Government employee and your nationality is one of any of the sixteen countries that fall within the Commonwealth Realm (you will also need to provide a copyright statement).

For further information, please see the Office of Public Sector Information guidelines.