Taylor & Francis is committed to bringing research by scholars in emerging nations to the attention of the global academic community. We also want to make the option to publish in open access journals available to as many researchers as possible.
To help achieve this, we offer waivers and discounts on the Article Publishing Charges (APCs) required to publish in many full open access journals (Taylor & Francis Open or Routledge Open):
1. Check that your country is one of those defined by the World Bank as being low-income or lower-middle-income. Also check that the journal you’re submitting to is one of the full open access journals included in this scheme.
Submit through the journal’s online submission system in the usual way. You should follow the Instructions for Authors found on Taylor & Francis Online.
2. During submission, on the ‘Manuscript Services’ screen, you will be shown the standard APC for the open access journal you are submitting to. This is determined by your location and article type. Please indicate who will coordinate payment of the APC.
3. Please enter the billing details or contact details where prompted then click ‘Generate Quote’
4. If you are eligible for a discount as part of our waiver policy, you will be asked if you wish to apply this discount. Please check the box if you wish to do so. If you have been given a discount code, please enter this in the space provided, and click ‘apply’.
5. If you are not eligible for a discount under our waiver policy and wish to request a discretionary waiver, please contact OAwaivers@tandf.co.uk after generating your quote.
If you think you are eligible for another discount which hasn’t been applied, please contact OAwaivers@tandf.co.uk after generating your quote. Your request will be processed.
Please do not continue with your submission until you have received a decision. We cannot consider any requests made after submission of your article.
6. After you click ‘Next’ you will be given the chance to review your submission details. If the total APC appears incorrect, please return to the previous page and check that you have either ticked the box or applied your discount code. If the APC still appears incorrect, please contact OAwaivers@tandf.co.uk and do not accept your quote.
7. If the quote is correct, please click ‘Accept & Submit’. You will be asked to confirm that you wish to proceed. Clicking ‘Yes’ will submit your work for consideration in the journal. Please note, the quoted APC will only be payable if your article is accepted for publication following peer review.
8. Your paper will go through peer review as normal. Journal editors or reviewers won’t see requests for a discount or waiver and it won’t influence the outcome of your submission.
9. If accepted, your article will be published open access, meaning anyone, anywhere can read your research.
Corresponding authors with primary affiliations based in one of the EIFL (Electronic Information for Libraries) network countries may be eligible for a 100% or 50% discount on the normal APC. For more information, including the list of countries and participating journals, please visit our EIFL page.
We will consider all requests for discretionary APC waivers, to publish in full open access journals, by researchers who aren’t eligible for the policies above.
Please contact OAwaivers@tandf.co.uk after generating your APC quote (see above), stating your request for a discretionary waiver. Include supporting evidence for why a waiver would be necessary in your circumstances. Your request should include details of:
To guarantee peer-review integrity, the waiver process is not managed by journal academic editors.
Please note that if we have reason to believe an author has provided false information as part of their waiver request, we reserve the right to rescind any discount offered, and the full APC will apply.